Christmas is a time for plenty of decorations both inside and out. Some people might be content with just a few loops of tinsel over the porch or balcony and trimmings in the house. But not you.
You’re looking for a quick and easy way to decorate outdoors that still packs a big holiday punch. That’s where Christmas light projectors come in. These handy lights could not be easier to use. They can quickly be staked to your lawn or set up in the driveway.
You’ll be the envy of the whole neighborhood as festive colors, patterns and even specific shapes are shown against the garage or house.
But where can you pick up the best Christmas projector? What features does a great projector need to have to provide decent coverage of light over your house? What materials should it be made from to withstand adverse weather conditions? How much will a decent Christmas projector set you back?
Well, Christmas fans need not worry themselves any further, because we’ve got a list of some of the best Christmas projectors currently available on the market. We also have a buyer’s guide that will help you discern the good projectors from the not-so-good projectors, as well as some frequently asked questions.
Outry Christmas Projector Lights
Our first brand of projector takes a different approach to the standard light array, giving you a great red and green laser show that can form patterns such as trees, bells and snowflakes. This projector will certainly make your house seem dynamic and Christmassy, leaving no corner unlit, with 5,000 square feet of coverage. Introducing the Outcry Christmas Projector Lights.
This projector gives you the ability to cycle through a range of patterns with a UL-certified remote control, meaning that you will have plenty of variety during the Christmas period, keeping you and your holiday visitors entertained. You can also set a timer that deactivates your lights during a certain time, that’s right, these lights will do it for you!
They are also incredibly durable against water and dust, meaning that you can leave them running even during rainy and snowy conditions. These models have two durable stands that can be swapped out for indoor or outdoor use. Overall, these are some of the most versatile projectors on this list.
- This model is brimming with patterns, shapes and light options, if you want to have different decorations for different days, then we would recommend this projector, for sure.
- With a built-in timer, all you have to do is set it to your desired time and let the machine do the shining. This is great if you have a busy schedule over the Christmas holidays.
- This will cover the entire front of your house and even more, mount them on either side of your lawn and transform your home into a magical Christmas jewel.
- These are very durable and, most importantly, weatherproof. It comes with a fully sealed technology that will prevent the accumulation of dust and water that could ultimately damage the device.
- Some users have complained that the power chord is not that powerful, providing your home with very weak light.
Star Shower Motion Laser Light
Our next projector has a great name, with a straightforward design created by a Christmas decoration manufacturer that is very well established in the game. This handy little unit gives you the option of red and green lights, with a single button use that will change the pattern from a static light to a swirling pattern. Introducing the Star Shower Motion Laser Light.
This is a great option for those who want a simply plug-in-and-go projector, with a decent range of light that will cover around 3,200 square feet. This is perfect for those who have a modest budget and an averagely-sized home, but do not want to miss out on the Christmas fun.
This projector has a built-in light sensor that will automatically turn on when it gets dark, which again will give you a lot more freedom, not having to concern yourself much with the projector’s operation. These lights have stakes for indoor and outdoor use, with EL-certified weather-resistant protection.
- The built-in timer – this is perfect for those users who have a busy schedule over the Christmas holidays and want the luxury of lights that work for themselves.
- This is a very basic unit, with two simple red and green light settings that are either static or moving in simple patterns, ideal for those on a budget who have a smaller apartment or house.
- These have stake-like appendages that you can use to secure these projectors firmly to the lawn, they are also very resistant to weather and dust accumulation.
- The red and green light patterns are very colorful and will perfectly suit the traditional red and green tinsel and tree decorations that you commonly find around Christmas.
- As mentioned above, this is a very basic unit and will not be suitable for those who want a very lavish Christmas with all the patterning and RGB coloring options of a more expensive unit.
Christmas Lights Projector
Our next model of projector is slightly more advanced than the previous one, the range of features that it has for the markup price makes it the best price/features model on this list. It has numerous combinations of red and green star patterns, giving you plenty of varied lighting speeds. Introducing the Christmas Lights Projector.
This unit has a timer that can be set every 1-6 hours, repeating the timings every 24 hours until you reset it. It lights up around 2,100 square feet of your house, making it perfect if you don’t want any overspill onto your neighbor’s property. You can switch out the stands on this machine, making it adaptable for indoor and outdoor use.
This is also a very durable unit, with IP65-rated lights that are sealed against water damage and dust build-up. This will be very important if you just want to leave your light operating by themselves on your lawn for the duration of the Christmas season.
- The timer – this machine gives you the luxury of independent operation, allowing you to set it quickly before walking away.
- This is another basic lighting rig for a budget home – you can get this unit for next-to-nothing, allowing you to compete with your more lavish neighbors.
- This lighting system is a great unit for outdoor use, with waterproof elements as well as stakes that can be driven firmly into the ground, giving you good protection against the wind.
- This lighting projector will cover over 2,100 square feet, which is roughly the size of an average terraced house.
- These lights do not have a rotating or twinkling setting, which might put off people looking for the maximum amount of options for their projector.
Minetom Christmas Snowfall Projector Lights
Our next set of projector lights has a radically different pattern to the others that we’ve had on this list, instead of the traditional red and green pattern, this one projects a flurry of white snowflakes. So even if it isn’t snowing, you can have that white Christmas effect for the entirety of the holidays. Introducing the Minetom Christmas Snowfall Projector Lights.
These lights come with an IP65-rated resistance to water and dust, making them perfect units for outdoor use. However, they come with an indoor stand too, so you can have a Winter snowstorm inside your kitchen or living room without any of the unnecessary cold!
This projector comes with a remote control that will allow you to adjust the brightness accordingly, as well as the speed of your snowfall. You can also set it on a timer of 2, 4, 6 or 8-hour cycles, which gives you the freedom to go out and do whatever you want. This is great for those who want their projector to run itself.
- This projector has a wide coverage, making it actually look like your house is being submerged in a Christmas blizzard. It will also make sure your house stands out from all the others.
- This light system has plenty of features that will keep it protected in case a real snowstorm hits, with an IP65-rated light that will withstand water and dust particles, which will be crucial for improving the overall longevity of the model.
- You have a timer with this model that allows you to leave it alone once it is set. It will repeat every 24 hours in the same pattern until you reset it.
- You can switch the speed of your snowstorm effect to create a more intensive blizzard, which will certainly entertain your children if you want to have a Christmas roleplay with them.
- Some users have reported that the lights are weaker than some of the other brands, making them less visible during the afternoons when the conditions are lighter.
Elfeland LED Lights Projector
Our final set of lights utilizes a gobo lens to achieve amazing Christmas patterns (gobo stands for ‘goes before optics’, which refers to an image painted on the glass that is projected on the wall when light is shone through it). You have over 15 patterns with this unit, including a Christmas tree and a Santa design. Introducing the Elfeland LED Lights Projector.
This is probably this projector’s most unique feature, with plenty of Christmas patterns that will certainly turn the heads of any passers-by. This projector is most effective when used closer up to your home, with the average image size being that of a garage door. This is one of the more entertaining projectors for children.
This projector, like all the others on this list, comes with a remote control that you can use to set on a timer. By the time you come home from the office, you can have this projector already shining as you pull into the driveway, immediately putting you in that holiday spirit.
- You have plenty of Christmassy images to choose from with this projector – a Christmas tree, Santa, snowflakes, why not choose a different image for every day of the week?
- This light is well protected from rain and snow conditions, although you can use it indoors to add to your living room decorations.
- The timer – you have the luxury of leaving your projector to its own devices once it has been set. It will rotate on the same pattern every 24 hours until you decide to reset it.
- The patterns will project nice and clear on the side of your home, providing plenty of coverage for even a large house. You can play a game with your children where they have to count how many Santas or Christmas trees they can see on the wall.
- The remote control range on this projector is very limited, which might be inconvenient if you find yourself situated some distance from your light unit.
As we’ve seen above, different light projectors offer very different features and capabilities, some just projecting a simple red and green light system with very little variation, while others give you very complex shapes and patterns.
You’ll need to consider what level of decoration you’ll want for your house, as the more intricate the light pattern, then the more expensive the projector. Below are a few of the basic things that most projectors should provide:
Does Your Projector Have Basic Or Complex Light Patterns?
There are many projectors that simply offer standard red and green static lighting. These are generally cheaper options than the more complex light patterns provided by expensive units. However, these red and green models are not very inspiring and give you limited coverage.
Having an RGB light arrangement will give you all the colors of the rainbow and probably a more dynamic Christmas display. If you have a gobo light, this will probably have a plain white light that will project the painted colors of your image.
Does Your Projector Have A Timer?
Having a timer will be very important if you want to leave your lights to operate themselves. Over the Christmas period, not a lot of users have the schedule to fiddle with their lights every night, so you might want a model that operates on its own.
Having a remote control to operate your Christmas lights will also give you maximum control over your light output, again, perfect if you’re busy trying to organize a Christmas dinner, for example.
Are Your Lights Waterproof?
If you are planning on having your lights mounted on your lawn, then they will need to have weatherproof and dust-proof properties. Most likely your lights will be staked into the ground for weeks at a time, so you’ll want them to be made from a sealed steel composition that won’t take on water.
Having firm stakes will also ensure that your lighting will remain stable and won’t appear distorted and warped on the side of your house.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Your Christmas Lights Safe?
One of the major things you’ll want to avoid is your projector being aimed at anywhere except your house. Having them aimed at your neighbor’s house will leave them irritated, but having them pointed at the road will be outright dangerous. One way to avoid car crashes and accidents will be to make sure that your lights are stuck firmly in the ground pointing at your home.
Can you hang lights on your house and use a projector?
Aboslutely! The lights of your projector will be generally a lot dimmer than the ones you attach to your house, so having fixed Christmas lights will give you that added level of brightness. You can also purchase inflatable and plastic decorations to distribute across your lawn if you really want to go all out.
Our Final Say
As you have seen, there are plenty of options when it comes to Christmas light projectors. There really is something for everyone. We are certain whichever model you choose will be the perfect addition for your holiday season.